Friday, January 28, 2005

The last days of Pomp-ee-eye

I haven't been able to stop by much this week because Mayhem #2 has been sick. The only reason I've been able to jot something down the last two days is she stayed in her bed all night. I've been finding her wrapped up in a blanket on the couch every morning. She complained about being cold so we finally sent the extra blanket to bed with her.

Yesterday I had to take her back to the doctor. The horse pills he gave her Monday weren't making her throat any better and she was nauseous alot. Someone at church was nice enough to ask me if it could be mono. Great. I didn't even want to think about that. While we were waiting, as is the requirement when you go see the doctor, she was watching Toy Story in her two coats and the above mentioned blanket wrapped around her legs. I was looking at a magazine and came across an advertisement for a movie that would be coming out soon. I showed it to her and said, "Dad and I have been there."
"Pom-pay 2?" she said.
"Uh, no ," I said. " That's the way you spell Pompeii with two i's on the end."
"I just thought it was the Roman number 2," she said.
"Don't you remember when you were in The Music Man and the mayor use to always say Pomp-ee-eye? He said it that way because it was spelled that way!"
"Oh," she said.

When we got back to the examining room and gave the list of complaints to the nurse she asked Mayhem #2 to take off her jacket so the doctor could listen to her breathe.
"Which one?" I said.
"How many does she have on?"
"Two."
"Both."
"Ok. We'll just wrap up in the blanket til the doctor shows up."

We got all situated and I asked Mayhem #2 how she was feeling.
"Cold. I was warm till she made me take my coats off. And I have no circulation in my legs."

This last malady happens when your child gets so big that he/she has alot of leg to hang off the side of the examining table. Our table has a wooden ledge around the side that holds the little mattress on. When you sit on it, the mattress goes down, the legs go up slightly, and the wooden ledge cuts off the circulation right above the knee. I finally turned her sideways and propped her against the wall.

The blood test was normal and the mono test was negative, but she could still have it if we tested her too early. He didn't think so though. He thinks she has a flu-like bug on top of the ear infection. The ears were the only thing that had slightly improved since Monday.

I guess I better go wake her up and see how she's feeling. I'm afraid she's going to mess up my Me Day. That's the way Mom's world goes.

No comments: