Thursday, September 08, 2005

Homecoming

It's homecoming week so I spent several hours yesterday afternoon making Mayhem #2 a lion, since that's the school mascot. No one "asked her to homecoming", but she's ok with that. (Remember, boys are gross.) Of course since there is no school dance and she can't wear a flower to the game because she's in band, it's sort of a non-event. So, just like I did for Mayhem #1, I took a stuffed lion and made a collar with all the ribbons and other homecoming stuff (including teeny tiny cow bells) for her to carry around tomorrow. All I have left to do is spray on the glitter. (She is my Bling child.)

This evening is the parade and burning of the letters. Mayhem #2 told me she was going to skip the parade and come home and do homework and practice her oboe and piano. (Shock!!) We've stood in her first grade teacher's yard for that parade since Mayhem #2 was in first grade. The band is required to be at the burning of the letters, even though the pit isn't going to play. I guess it's a solidarity thing. I think I've gotten her a ride home from this with a friend. I've talked to the dad, but I better check with the mom. (You know how that goes.)

Because... Mr. Mayhem and I have dance class tonight. We're going to learn some new steps for the salsa and bachata, and also start on the cha cha and rumba. Last week, the instructor referenced the movie Dirty Dancing and Mr. Mayhem admitted he hadn't seen it. (I thought I had, but I was thinking of another dance movie.) So over the weekend, we rented that movie and, on the recommendation of Mayhem #1, Strictly Ballroom. I think we should get extra credit for that.

I also have to find Mayhem #2 a ride home from school tomorrow since I'll be going to pick up Mayhem #1. Both of them are so excited!!! Mr. Mayhem and I are kind of tickled too. If Mayhem #1 doesn't have to work late, we may be home in time for dinner. Mayhem #2 will be in her band uniform for the first time, so she gets lots of extra Gatorade and water. She keeps telling me that they don't even have music for half time so I don't know if they have to drag their instruments out on the field or not. I'll let you know how it all goes.

No comments: