Thursday, September 15, 2005

Last weekend

I guess I better tell you a little about last weekend before this weekend gets here. I arrived in Belton to pick up Mayhem #1 around noon so I could take her to lunch. She still had a 1:00 class, but I thought eating out would be fun. I took a whole gaggle of girls to Sonic for some "real food." It’s very sad to think that Sonic is real food.

We were about half way home when I got a phone call from Mayhem #2 saying that the friend I had asked to take her home had never shown up so she was getting a ride with someone else. We got home in time for hugs for the sisters and for me to fix Mayhem #2’s hair in a bun. This was the first game in her uniform so her fanny-length hair had to be put up. I was a little nervous about her overheating with the bibbers and coat, but the pit didn’t have to play so everything was fine.

Mayhem #1 sat with Mr. Mayhem and I for about 2 minutes and then she had to start looking for people she knew. About 6 minutes before half time, I went to water the band. Mayhem #1 helped and then with 4 minutes to go the big lights go out. These are the new lights that blew the transformer two weeks ago. (I blamed it on the other school’s band because they were standing under the transformer that had blown and I just said they must have tripped on the extension cord.) Everybody went nuts and the band included. The director told them not to play their instruments so that we could hear any instructions. The band, being the band, proceeded to sing their entire repertoire of songs. They were singing their different parts. It was pretty funny and kept them, and the folks around them, entertained until the lights came up.

During the second half, Mayhem #1 hung out with one of her friends who had also come back for homecoming. They were over with the band dancing and having a good time. She said it was more fun to be "with" the band than "in" the band. No responsibilities…no cares.

And the most astonishing thing was…We Won!!! In Overtime!!!!

Saturday, I got Mayhem #1 up early so we could get to the optometrist early so we wouldn’t be there all day. Mayhem #2 was already up watching her cartoons. After we got the new glasses, we ran a few errands then went home for lunch. Mayhem #2 had an oboe lesson that morning. After lunch, we got dressed up and went to the church to have our picture made. While the girls worked on homework, Mr. Mayhem & I went to Target to pick up some things Mayhem #2 needed to take back with her. Like "real food"…mac & cheese, ramen soup, ravioli, etc. She had to have a new desk lamp because hers had a halogen bulb and those aren’t allowed. They’re bathroom also has no counter space so we bought a standing shelf to go above the toilet. Mr. Mayhem put it together Sunday before he took her back to school. She was going to have to put in one bar after she got it in place. I think it all worked out ok.

Everyone loved seeing Mayhem #1 at church. The senior adult SS class she use to play piano for decided they were going to let Mr. Mayhem & I know that she needed a car so she could home more often to visit them. One of them informed Mr. Mayhem of that before church started! She has found a church in the next little town over that she’s going to join under watchcare. She’s also doing a sign language ministry on Wed. night that’s on campus because she can’t always get a ride to church then.

When she headed back on Sunday afternoon, there were hugs, but no tears. Mayhem #2 seems to be handling this better now. It’s like when they were little and we left them in the nursery for the first time. Once they knew we were going to come back for them, they were fine. (I did forget one once, but I didn’t get completely out of the building before I remembered.)

No comments: