Monday, April 17, 2006

Worn out

Have I mentioned that moms don’t get paid enough? And my weekend is proof of it.

I mentioned in my previous post that I was going to pick up Mayhem #1 later in the day on Thursday after I brought Mayhem #2 home from school. That didn’t happen because Mayhem #2 didn’t go to school. She woke up feeling dizzy. She had felt this way on Palm Sunday as well and she and I didn’t make it to church. Since this had happened twice and seemed rather odd, I took her to the doctor. Of course, our doctor wasn’t there so we saw a different one. She couldn’t find anything like an ear infection or sinus infection. She even checked her for anemia. That wasn’t it either. The doctor said it could be the beginning of an illness that hadn’t shown up with other symptoms yet or it could one of these weird teenage hormone things. I fed her some lunch, plopped her on the couch, played a movie, and told her to finish her maps after the movie. Mr. Mayhem was to call and check on her.

So about 2:00pm I headed to get Mayhem #1. After almost falling on the dorm stairs outside, I stayed at the top of the stairs and took all the stuff from there to the car. She had to bring it from the dorm room to the top of the stairs. With her broken bum and my broken foot, we were quite a pair. She brought home a bunch of stuff that she was leaving at home. She only has about 2 ½ weeks left. Believe me, we need to bring stuff home every trip or we’ll never get it all home. (Mr. Mayhem will bring home more next weekend since he’s going down for Dad Weekend.)

She wanted to drive back so I let her. We stopped in Waco for dinner. She yacked and yacked about the boyfriend, roommate, new classes she got for next semester, and such. We made it home about 7:30 with a stop at Wendy’s for Frosties for all. Boyfriend called at 8:30. The free minutes don’t start until 9:00. Mr. Mayhem suggested, after they had talked that 30 minutes, they should hang up and call back and there would be no minutes used. Everyone else went to bed around 10:00. She got on line with Boyfriend about then. I happened to wake up around 1:00am and the light in the living room was still on. She got off the computer and went to be shortly after that, but I laid awake for an hour worrying about Mayhem #1 and the Boyfriend and how she uses her time, and anything else I thought I should worry about.

The next morning I thought Mayhem #1 had gotten up (eventually) and taken a shower, but when I looked in her room she was back in bed asleep. A little while later, I asked Mr. Mayhem to wake her up. He came back and said I needed to go see her because there was an emotional upset going on. Apparently there was some stupidity on her part that upset the boyfriend and now she was all worried and upset that he was upset. She moped and cried off and on the whole day. We went out to Chili’s for lunch and then went to the movies like we had planned. We saw "Take the Lead." It’s about ballroom dancing. What did you expect? I asked Mr. Mayhem to sit next to weepy and keep an eye on her.

We enjoyed the movie, but the emotional spew was wearing me out. That evening we went to the Good Friday service at church. Since we were dealing with the crucifixion and Lord’s Supper, crying wasn’t necessarily out of the ordinary. Finally, Boyfriend called and everything was smoothed out and ok. Thank goodness.

I’ll finish the weekend story later.

Just so you know. Mr. Mayhem didn't have internet at work last week so that's one reason why he couldn't post. If there were others, I don't know them.

No comments: