Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring Break

We made it through spring break with the boyfriend. He is a very nice young man. A little on the crazy side, but that just made him fit in. We went to the mall one day. I got a wheelchair everywhere we went. I told the girls it was pay back for all those years I strolled them around. Mayhem #1 made some comment about the weight difference. I told her to watch it! I let Mayhem #1 and the boyfriend wander around together while Mayhem #2 and I looked around for shiny things and comfortable flip flops. Not for me, mind you.

Tuesday we went to the zoo. I decided not to wait until Wednesday which is half-price day because I was afraid that everyone and their brother would be there that day. Boy was I right. Over 16,000 people went to the zoo on Wednesday. It even shut down one of the freeways. The zoo was still busy on Tuesday, but it was bearable. Between the crowd and me in the wheelchair, it took us all day. Normally it takes about three hours. I spent a lot of time waiting outside exhibits while the kids went in. I’d find a bench and wheel up very close and prop my foot up. It was a beautiful day and warm enough if I parked myself in the sun.

Wednesday, after a quick trip to the church to borrow a wheel chair, we went to the Stockyards. We got there just in time for the longhorn herd to mosey down the street. We checked out the museum and the shops in the train station. We had lunch at Riscky’s BBQ. (Sorry Terry. No pictures.) After lunch we went downtown. Mayhem #2 and I headed to the library while Mayhem #1 and the boyfriend strolled down to Barnes & Nobles.

Thursday was the love birds day. The boyfriend had made dinner reservations at a 5 star French restaurant for that evening. Mayhem #1 wanted to show him the botanic gardens, so Mayhem #2 and I stayed home and rested. She may not have been tired, but I was exhausted and hurting. There wasn’t a lot blooming in the gardens but they went to the Japanese Gardens and said it was beautiful. That afternoon they went to Half-Priced Books. I rode with them over to the restaurant on a practice run so Mayhem #1 would feel comfortable driving over there. (She was my cab driver all week.) They got all spiffed up. The boyfriend had forgotten black socks so I loaned him a pair of Mr. Mayhem’s. They looked very nice and had a great evening.

Friday, they had to take me to the podiatrist’s office bright and early. After that, all three of the kids had breakfast at McDonalds and then took my mom grocery shopping. They picked me up from the doctor’s office and we returned the wheelchair to the church. Mayhem #2 and I sat in the car while Mayhem #1 practiced her rollerblading in the church parking lot. She had started her class last week and needed a little extra time. It’s been close to 10 years since she had rollerbladed last. The boyfriend walked around with her while she practiced. That evening Mayhem #2 went to a youth event at church and the rest of us, Mr. Mayhem included, went to Chili’s for dinner. We talked about going home and watching some movies, but instead Mayhem #1 sat with the boyfriend’s arm around her while she cried. I checked with her later. It was early separation anxiety.

Saturday it rained all day. Mayhem #1 and the boyfriend ran a few errands, and then late that afternoon all three of the kids met some friends for laser tag and dinner. We had a crazy sing along that night. Mayhem #2 loves for Mayhem #1 to play piano so she can sing along. This caused a little stress earlier in the week because Mayhem #1 didn’t do this according to Mayhem #2’s schedule. It boiled down to Mayhem #2 not liking sharing her sister. Anyway, the sing along was funny. Mr. Mayhem was a great Kermit the Frog in The Rainbow Connection. The boyfriend’s comment to Mayhem #1 later that night was, “Your dad’s crazy!”

Sunday saw Mr. Mayhem and Mayhem #2 headed off to church. The handbells were playing so they had to be there. I headed to the bus station with Mayhem #1 and the boyfriend. It was rainy. She was crying. He got put on an earlier bus so we didn’t have to sit around for an hour. We only sat for about 10 minutes, and I honestly think that worked out for the best. We talked a little on the way home and I tried to be silly for her. She went home a packed so dad could take her back to school. The drive back took extra long because of the weather and all the other crazy college kids headed back to school on the same road.

I think it was a good week. We all had to make adjustments and learn new things. Mayhem #1 is pretty miserable right now, but I hope she’ll get back in the swing of things pretty quickly. Long distance relationships are hard. Growing up is hard. It happens whether we like it or not.

No comments: